The Queen, in her annual Christmas message to her British subjects, talked about time for reflection in one’s life as this year comes to a close. This message struck me as rather unlike how the dutiful, always controlled Queen is typically portrayed and I was intrigued. I have spent the past several days being quiet, and taking her advice. I thought about what to write about the end of the year, and concluded that the ending of 2013 should be a little less serious and little more honest and funny. Naturally, I went to the Internet. I trusted Tumblr to help find some “about me” questions so I could answer on this blog as a way to reflect on this past year and found that I was, indeed, not 10 years old. I had to get a little more creative than what I found…the question “Have you kissed a boy?” doesn’t apply any longer. I hope you enjoy the facts below, and good luck in 2014, in whatever comes your way.
- Worst habits: blogging late at night when I’m sleepy and don’t proofread my rambling, and then having to redo posts out of embarassment. Picking off my nail polish. Drinking Pepsi. Slouching.
- Five things that irritate me about people: Waiters who don’t make eye contact. People who clip their nails anywhere outside of a bathroom over a trashcan. People who put marathon stickers on their cars (26.2, etc.). People who aren’t accountable. When my husband throws open the curtains in the mornings to wake me up.
- Something you don’t know about me: I honestly wanted to be a country music singer as a young child. Big dreams!
- How I’d spend $25,000 tomorrow: I’d push our kitchen out towards the backyard, redesign and update to have more space and include an screened-in porch.
- Three things we accomplished on the house in 2013: Installed 12 recessed lights in the den, sitting room, and dining room; finished painting and decorating the man bathroom downstairs, planted a successful garden of flowers and herbs that lived all season.
- Three goals for the house in 2014: Painting all external metal lattice work and doors black, purchase new rugs for the den, refinish kitchen countertops.
- One person I’d throw off a cliff: Anyone on a Real Housewives show. Justin Bieber. Courtney Stodden. I can’t name just one.
- Something I do without realizing it: I bite the insides of my lips and I do this fluttery eye roll thing.
- Six things I want to do before kicking the bucket: Hike the Grand Canyon and the Zion Narrows again. Visit Europe several times. See all the museums in Washington, D.C. and the Kennedy Library in Boston. Become a moderately skilled green-blue skier. Take an English riding lesson. See an episode of Saturday Night Live in person.
- Five things found in my cube at work: a small canvas picture of Audrey Hepburn, a gold tray, a very tiny space heater which is illegal, lucite tape dispenser and stapler, a German beer stein I use for my iced tea, and the better part of my 20s.
- Favorite collection: My antler collection is just getting better and better. I love my growing library, and my salt and pepper shaker collection is pretty rad. I also must mention the vintage cameras, owned by my grandparents and parents, passed on to me. Those are pretty special.
- Five hobbies/interests: Taking pictures of buildings and nature. Horseback riding. Running with my doggies. Researching notorious families. Playing and winning Scrabble games.
- Style icons: Jackie Kennedy, my pal Jillian, Carla Bruni Sarkozy, Jenna Lyons, my first professional mentor Nora.
- Favorite thing to shop for: I’m an online shopping guru. Shoes, clothes, home goods, books, dog stuff, horse stuff.
- Summer goals: Attend a polo match. Play tennis 10 times. Feel good in a swimsuit. Play five rounds of golf.
- Overrated in 2013: Miley Cyrus, social media, 50 Shades of Gray (never read it), Kimye, American Hustle (good acting, terrible and long storyline).